Re: GNOME Networking Idea

Matt> I don't think we want to hash over the *advantages*.  I might
Matt> say something uncalled for about libvfs, and the way it forces
Matt> round pegs into square pickles.  : )

Without getting into the uncalled-for area, what is wrong with libvfs?

Matt> I will say that the NCS method will allow for extentions to the
Matt> interface.  This will let the person writing the ftp ORB to add
Matt> methods that fit the ftp analogy.

I understand why this would be useful.  And I agree that in principle
it is a good approach.

But in practice it seems like one advantage of libvfs is that it
integrates well with people's preexisting notions of how to use files,
whereas your scheme requires an entirely new API.

Also, wouldn't it be possible to write a libvfs module that connects
to CORBA servers along the lines you propose?  That would gain the
extensibility while preserving the interface.

Tom