Re: GNOME Networking Idea

> > A number of people over the months have asked about network
> > transperancy in GNOME. After all, GNOME stands for GNU Network
> > Object Model, so I will tell you where the Network comes in.
>
> Well, I read your mail, but you never addressed
> security/authentication.  I see little use on what you showed.
>
> Miguel.

Authentication to these ORBs is important alright.  I am hoping someone will
come up with good method for applications to authenticate themselves.
I'm sure there are a number of ways to do this.  I was hoping to use
CORBA's authentication.

Authentication info for remote ftp servers and such will be in the
URL structure.  ftp://p@sscode:username@host/path

I don't think we want to hash over the *advantages*.  I might
say something uncalled for about libvfs, and the way it forces
round pegs into square pickles.  : )

I will say that the NCS method will allow for extentions to the
interface.  This will let the person writing the ftp ORB to add
methods that fit the ftp analogy.

If it has little use then, i have wasted my time and everybody elses.

--matt wimer