gnome cvs build probs.

Hi,

I grabbed a CVS tarball from ftp.jimpick.com yesterday and have been
trying to update one of my boxes to start playing with gtk/gnome again.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get gtk+ to build;  when I try,
autoconf complains about "AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross-compiling" or similar, and creates a broken configure script which
no reasonable amount of hand-hacking can get to work.  (It has a
significant number of autoconf macros which I don't doubt are related to
the above breakages.)

glib has the same problems, but I managed to get it building OK with a
little Makefile massaging.

I suspect that this is a trivial problem, but it's bamboozling me.

autoconf and automake are from RH5.1, for what it's worth - the system is
largely untouched, and I've removed all obvious gtk+, glib, gnome, gimp,
etc stuff.

Matthew.