Re: Questions about Gnome project

> From: George <jirka@5z.com>
>
> [sounds a bit like flame bait so I'll try to be neutral]

I was going to ignore it entirely on that grounds, but it
may be possible to give them some useful information.

> > 1) According to the KDE development group, Qt is simply the best tool,
> > better than GTK. Is it true or not in you opinion?

This is a stupid question to ask on gnome-list.  Do you think we are working
on Gnome even though we believe Qt is best?  If the KDE development group
wants to claim Qt is God's own GUI then ask _them_ to justify the claim.
Or better yet, learn both of them and tell us your "objective" opinion
on how to improve both of them.

> toolkit is a more personal choice ... we feel that gtk is better, they like
> Qt better ... it's personal choice I guess ...

A little more can be said before we are into stupid flame wars.  There
are two main differences
(1) Qt is a C++ library, Gtk is written in C.  Whether C is better than
    C++ is a personal choice, and if anybody discusses it on this list,
    I'm out'a here.
(2) Gtk is under the GNU General Public Licence (www.gnu.org), Qt is
    under a different licence.  I don't know all the details, but I
    think it forbids commercial re-distribution or changing Qt without
    permission from Trolltech.  This is unacceptable for a GNU project.

--
     --Keith

This mail message sent by GNU emacs and Linux.
Food, Shelter, Source code.