Questions about Gnome project

We are two Italian (newbies) Linux users. We know that there are two
distinct projects for giving a modern GUI to Linux (KDE and Gnome) and
looked at both sites for more informations, but we still have some remaining
questions about this subject.

1) According to the KDE development group, Qt is simply the best tool,
better than GTK. Is it true or not in you opinion? May you justify your
answer, if it's not too long?

2) Does GTK support multithreading and themeing?

3) You said that KDE has some (few) basic problems that Gnome will resolve,
contemporarily adding some new ideas/features. Could you tell us which these
problems/new features are? (Again, if not too long)

4) Somewhere in your site we found that, according to you, it's better to
re-write KDE instead of Qt, as both have more or less the same length (about
89000 lines for KDE and 91000 for Qt) and KDE has those basic problems
mentioned above, but in the KDE site is written that KDE is a
half-a-million-lines project. Why this difference?

Thanks in advance

Franco and Alberto Vecchiato