Re: word processor document format: what parts?

On 21 Sep 1998, Oliver Graf wrote:

> XML defines a structure and tags data with semantic value.
>
> But all you talk about are font weights and sizes. This belongs to the style
> language.

True...  However, one of the issues at hand is that many (most?) people
who will be using a word processor are used to doing quick and dirty
formatting using typographic tags (i.e. <bold></bold>).  One of my big
points is that this structure can be mapped into a full featured XML
editor using an appropriate DTD and appropriate style sheet.

So, while I myself would probably use <emphasis></emphasis>, we do talk a
lot about that particular DTD which will allow 'eye-candy' layout because
it is, almost with a doubt, the one that will see the most use initially.

Patrick

If we're to have any luck stanching the vain drain, we just have to
let nerds be nerds...  Owen Edwards, Forbes Magazine