Re: word processor document format: what parts?

> I don't think this is really realistic, because most documents created
> with word processors barely have a structure

Thinking more along the lines of an automatic XML/XSL DTD generator.
Imagine this scenario:

You open up the WP, and start typing. The WP defaults to a particuler
tag (say <para> and the normal font, whatever it may be). As soon as
they alter the font or point-size, the WP can do one of two things -

One, it can start searching through its default DTDs, looking for a
pattern that matches what the user is doing. In the case of fonts for
example, if the user is increasing the size, the DTD could move up the
DTD tree and try to match a heading to the text (assuming that XSL
considerations are flexible). At the same time, some NONINTRUSIVE
element could offer different choices to the user based upon what it
thinks would best match what they are doing. Something like the modeline
in emacs.

Two, the WP could simply tag each change as a new element in a brand new
DTD, and generate the XML/XSL based on it. perhaps offering the user to
name each tag ala emacs modeline. This does two things - it allows
completely freeform entry, as well as reminding the user that there
should be a structure, and that they should be naming that structure if
they don't use one that it predefined. This would also be the perfect
way to create your own templates for someone who knew what they were
doing.

tim