Re: word processor document format: what parts?

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> 1) I use LyX and wish that there were a cool GNOME SGML editing tool,
> as this is what I would probably use for writing my own documents.
>
> 2) Bob is a word clone.  It is a wordprocessor.
>	<MUCHO SNIPO>

Todd,

I agree with you as far as it goes.  However, I tend to think that the
distinction between an SGML editor and a WP is a false dichotomy.  To me,
the functionality of Word, WP, and similar programs can be modeled as a
subset of of full SGML editing functionality  (I.e. a WP document is just
an SGML document with a very limited DTD).

My proposal would be to implement it that way: structure for full SGML
editing -- and then allow for a limited mode that only understands typical
WP stuff.  If done right, it should be possible to make this limited mode
just a seperate DTD rather than something with a lot of code behind it.

Also, realize that semantically weighty tags (e.g. header1 as opposed to
bold+Fontsize12) are not necessarily incompatible with typographic ones,
even in the same document.

Patrick

If we're to have any luck stanching the vain drain, we just have to
let nerds be nerds...  Owen Edwards, Forbes Magazine