Re: Word Processors

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Reklaw wrote:

> The OS "has" pipes, the shell provides an interface to them. Shells don't
> require the user to know or use pipes. Shells were designed when the people
> who use computers were very diff. WPs have to target a diff user.

Sure, it doesn't require the newbie to use pipes, but if they find out about
them, they might get confused, right?  Today, you say, users are different.
There are a lot more newbies.  Well is there no more hope for the expert?
Read on.

> I don't want Tim or Julia in my kitchen, Tim will destory everything and Julia
> will drink all my wine <grin>.
> Those buttons Tim is pushing can be "trained monkeys" and/or templates.
> If Julia doesn't want the menu (metaphoricly speaking) she can turn it off. Julia
> would know enough about her kitchen to do that. Tim may not, so he is the one
> that needs the help.

Let me put my argument a different way.  Suppose in this kitchen we have
lettuce and other vegetables in the fridge.  We also have a food processor
to chop up the vegetables, and a few knives (not too sharp).  We also have
prepackaged salads in the fridge.

Tim wants a salad, but he doesn't know how to make one, so he takes one of
the prepackaged ones.  Fine.

Julia wants a salad with lettuce, carrots and radishes.  She runs the
carrots and radishes through the food processor, adds them to the lettuce,
and voila!

Now what you are arguing, metaphorically, is that we shouldn't have the food
processor in the kitchen, because Tim might electrocute himself.  Or, he
might make some vile concoction with rutabagas that he'd hate.  (We're not
afraid of him chopping up rutabagas with the knives - it's too complicated
for him.)  So we take it away.  Time doesn't care.  He doesn't know how to
make a salad anyway.

Sometime later, Julia returns.  She wants her favorite salad with lettuce,
carrots, and radishes.  But, alas, no food processor!  And she doesn't have
time to put it together with knives.  So, she looks at the prepackaged
salads.  Hmm, one has lettuce and radishes - that's the closest they come.
Now, she either has to stick with that, or spend some extra time cutting up
the carrots with the knives.  What a waste of time.

Now, you may argue that in the computer software case, one could simply
modify a standard template to one's taste, and change it.  But it's not the
same - you still have to use the knife to do it, not the food processor.
Sorry, Julia.

Knives, graters, rolling pins - high difficulty, low power, great flexibility
Food processor - medium difficulty, medium power, medium flexibility
  (flexibility is lower because you can't cut as many things)
Prepackaged - low difficulty, high power, low flexibility

You are saying - fine with the knives, because the newbie won't use them, and
it takes to long to screw things up.  Fine with the prepackaged, because you
can't go wrong, and the experts can ignore it.  But get rid of the food
processor, because the newbie might be tempted to use it, and screw things
up.  I am the expert, begging for the food processor because I don't always
have time for the knives.

> I suggest you read them more. I'm not trying to be mean or spitful, I just don't
> think you're quite thinking this though.

I appreciate your criticism.

/-------- Quantum Seep, qseep@iname.com ---
  "His funny bone's connected to the M-bone"
   PGP fingerprint: 5B 3B 7B EC AA 5B 4B 7F  65 7D 2A CD 69 11 29 2A