Re: aggressive computers (was: Word Processors)

J. Patrick Narkinsky wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Steve Luzynski wrote:
> > I believe that the major objection most folks have is that they feel
> > like Microsoft thinks that grown adults need cute cartoons to be able to
> > operate software. If the same functionality had been implemented as a
> > simple popup somewhere it would probably have been hailed as a great
> > advance in UI.
>
> My objection goes more along the line of "You're using my memory for
> A TALKING PAPERCLIP!??!?!?!".  *sigh*  I guess I'm just a dinosaur at the
> age of 26 -- but my Vic20 had <5K of memory.  And it worked.  Culture
> shock.

in addition, i'd like to question the very practicality of such
aggressive assistance. specifically, does anyone in this list know
anyone who likes and uses the paperclip help regularly? i don't know
many people that use the newest version of word, but of the two or three
that do, all of them have turned the paperclip off.

the apple style guide states (and i rephrase as accurately as my memory
allows) that all actions should be initiated by the user, and not the
computer. the computer should remain as ready as possible to do the
user's bidding quickly but (and here i opine on what i think the apple
guide was trying to say) should not try to "leap ahead" or take control.
the machine should never try to outsmart the user.

effective helpers under your authority are good. yes-men with poor
decision-making skills just get in the way and annoy. so what line do
you think we should draw in the sand for active assistance? i say if the
user elects, commentary on what the user has done should be available,
but at no point should the computer try to predict what's coming up
next. if somebody feels ambitious enough to try to insult their user's
intelligence in that way, it should at least be off by default. just my
two bits.
safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin