Re: Word Processors

Timothy Ritchey writes:

 > When all of these reports come out about how productivity hasn't
 > increased, I have to admit some truth to it. People are too impressed by
 > EYE-CANDY like 500 fonts on one page in 32 different sizes with embedded
 > graphics - not to mention animated paper-clips. Employees spend HOURS on
 > these design disasters, thinking they are "adding value." B*** S***.
 > computers are about information, and structured documents are the only
 > way to go.

       A lot of the problem with Word Processors (I keep typing
"World" there for some reason), is that a lot of the people using them
would rather be playing computer games or not using a computer at all.
So having lots of bells and whistles gives them opportunities to do a
work slowdown and/or entertain themselves without being real obvious
about it.

       A friend said that productivity has increased in technical
fields where there are a lot of single purpose tools.

--
Rebecca Ore