Re: Word Processors

[since the first try obviosly didn't get through (?)]

John R Sheets <dusk@smsi-roman.com> wrote:
[snip]
> For example.  Let's say you're using a Resume template.  The
> template would probably only imbed a single entry for each
> employment or education history.  To add 2 or more, you have to
> cut & paste the original entry.  Wouldn't it be nice (my favorite
> phrase) to let the template spit out the text blocks for you?
> (This could also be automated if you had the data stored in a
> database.)  If you change to a different Resume template, the
> format for these blocks will most likely change, so it seems
> natural for the template to keep track of this.
>
> How would all this fit into the XML/XSL/scheme model?

I envision a word processor (or any other application that
interactively produces information) where you have a generic
template and file format - namely XML. Scheme (Guile) will
take care of binding resources to documents and building
macros (dialogs and wizards).

An example.

Lets say Jim Allchin wants to send out a memo to his employees
that they have to leverage Windows to gain control of the
Office market. Since he has already done something similar
before he already has a template for it. The new instance of
the template makes dialogs pop up and asks him about title,
partners in crime, etc. The input is processed by Guile and
looks up relevant resources through LDAP via a CORBA exported
interface. He could even import a spread sheet to show the
monetary gains of the move, which of course would be a Baboon
object connected to Gnumeric.

I was once actually paid to type down templates for 100 or so
documents and to code automatation in Word Basic was cumbersome
to say the least. I think with a good tutorial on doing it the
users will benefit immensely from having a real programming
language. With good I mean something easier than the Elisp
tutorials *looking at a non-working CSS mode*.

The style part I am divided on. I don't like to mix things
with different meaning and same syntax (i.e. XML and XSL) so
I am leaning towards DSSSL. I do see the benefit of needing
just one parser (gnome-xml), but since we already have Guile
 present...

What I don't see any benefits of is to put the physical markup
of information as the first thing the users see. It will
inevitably result in people thinking "14pt bold Arial" instead
of "Header of a sub section". 'Creativity' that means waste of
money crippling of assumed benefits of computers in a corporate
environment (hard to index and search such documents for example).

 /mill

- --
# S-mail: Olof Oberg     #  mill@pedgr571.sn.umu.se         #
#         Pedagoggr. 7A  #  mill@ludd.luth.se               #