Re: How to keep windows from maximizing over the panel

George wrote:

> I have an idea ....
>
> to make the panel work with different windowmanagers which could be run
> even during one session ..
>
> each panel is in one more aditional xwindow .... by default that xwindow
> is override redirect .... the panel looks for the xwindow created by
> the window manager with the appropriate properties, if it is found
> then the panel creates a new toplevel, sets hints on it .... reparents
> the contents, destroyes the old xwindow ... the panel will watch for
> destruction of the wm window, if it gets destroyed, it repeats the
> procedure, putting the contents into an override redirect window ... (the
> procedure would have a timeout on startup, so that we don't do too much
> stuff in case the panel starts up[ before the wm does
>
> does that look reasonable? (that would be given that the wm window exists
> such as owen suggested)

This seems to be pretty reasonable. I know that the more popular window
managers support some MWM hints, do any support the _MOTIF_WM_WINDOW
hint that Owen mentioned?

I like this solution. It will allow a different panel(s) on different
virtual desktops, if the wm allows it.

M.Watson <redline@intrex.net>