Problems compiling gtk+

Hi,

Possibly stupid question.  I'm having problems configuring gtk+.  I've
successfully installed glib, but when I run:
autogen.sh --prefix=/Software/gnome
I get:

configure.in:387: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
<repeated many times>

creating cache ./config.cache
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,
$VERSION, no-define)'

I'm running Redhat 5.0 with updated automake and a week old version of
libtool.  I grabbed new source with CVS yesterday.  I presume that it's
some of my tools being out of date.  Any suggestions as to what I should
upgrade?  Or did I do something silly when installing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Warren

--
Warren Baird,                     | Ph: 519-886-8435 Fax: 519-886-7580
Visualization Wizard              | Work:baird@asc.on.ca