Re: metadata

>> "Gnome.Icon"                An Icon in png format.

Felix> Does this mean a reference to a FILE containing the icon in png
Felix> format? Do we want to include network dependent data in the
Felix> metadata?

Why not just put the PGN data directly in the metadata?  This presumes
that the icons are small, but that is probably a good assumption.

Felix> I thought Tom's metadata proposal suggested that metadata
Felix> should NOT be used to specify these details. Instead he
Felix> suggested using a trading service.

That's what I'd prefer, yes.

Felix> I assume that network independence was a big part of his reason
Felix> for making this suggestion. (There are other good reasons but
Felix> most of those could be handled thorough the interface
Felix> repository and naming service).

Network independence, but also implementation independence.  Running a
command is limiting because you might actually want to have a single
program which can edit several files at once (e.g., Emacs or
Netscape).  Sure, you can write proxy programs to contact the "edit
server" programs, but that seems backwards.

If we use CORBA directly then we only need proxies for the programs we
don't write.

Tom