Re: metadata

Miguel de Icaza writes:

 >    We now have to come with a list of standard keys that we will use
 > on the Metadata, here is a suggestion of the keys I want to use --at
 > least in the file manager--
 >
 >    "Gnome.Icon"                An Icon in png format.
 >
 >    "Gnome.SmallIcon"           If specified, the a small version of the icon
 > 		               for WM and small lists purposes.

Does this mean a reference to a FILE containing the icon in png
format? Do we want to include network dependent data in the metadata?

There was a volley of flack when I proposed passing network dependent
data to a wm (an icon image file, no less!). Obviously, gmc is tied to
SOME file system but MUST this be the one containing the image file
and MUST every application that uses this metadata will be on this
SAME file system?

I know that Marko has code to implement a very simple file browser in
icewm. He might want to access these images but will not unless they
are network independent.

 >    "Gnome.View"                Command used to view this file.  This
 > 			       might include file manager specific bits
 > 			       (for example, the command might be to
 > 			       invoke the build-in viewer).
 >
 >    "Gnome.Open"                Command used to open this file
 >
 >    "Gnome.Open.NeedTerminal"   Boolean: if set, the program needs a
 > 	                       terminal to run, false otherwise.
 >
 >    "Gnome.Drop"                A command to run when a list of files
 > 			       is dropped in this file.

Will these "commands" be network independent ?

I thought Tom's metadata proposal suggested that metadata should NOT
be used to specify these details. Instead he suggested using a trading
service. I assume that network independence was a big part of his
reason for making this suggestion. (There are other good reasons but
most of those could be handled thorough the interface repository and
naming service).

I have proposed a scheme for granting network independent access to
icon images and panel menu launch facilities in response to the
criticisms raised by wm writers (cf. "GNOME icons again"). This could
be adapted to satisfy gmc's needs using very minor extensions.

Network independent icons and app execution are a GOOD IDEA. I would
never have proposed files for icons unless I had cynically expected that
GNOME was never going to be network independent. I was refreshed when
Raster et al shot my idea down. Please do NOT prove that my cynicism
was right all along...

X does not reserve network independence for wms. Network independence
is a standard feature for all Xlib apps implemented using X resources
held on the server (see man page xrdb(1), Xrm*(3), etc.).

Does GNOME intend to be LESS network independent than Xlib ? Why ?

Felix