Re: Word Processors

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:18:07 Rebecca Ore wrote:
<snip>
>  Yes, it's definitely bringing in more than PW.  Haven't noticed the
> last character bug in PW at this point.
I didn't know about the new version. Hope it (the bug) is not in it.It
may only be with neXtaw.

> Maxwell is desktop independant in the binary I have. I don't think
> they've gotten it working with Qt yet -- and the word from the kde
> developer I exchanged emails with was that kde had klyx (and welcome
> to it, I say).  I still don't know what Maxwell means by Word6.  It
> won't import Word 6 for DOS.  Obviously with PW, one could create
> plugin format filters.  You could, not me.  I don't code.
Eck! I meant Maxwell's desktop to be none and KDE. The maxwell dev I
spoke to said some progress had be made on a KDE port in their CVS.
No effort on GNOME yet.

Hmmm... Maybe thier banking on no one having Word 6 <grin> I have no
idea what they mean by "Word 6" and I have no way to test it.

> PW is definitely under active development.  What I downloaded this
> morning is the current release.  See freshmeat.net for more details.
> It comes bundled with Siag and some animation program.
>
> Kidnap the both of them, I say.  Siag looks pretty good, too.  They're

Yeah but already got Gnumeric. But I'm all for choice.

> well behaved on the desktop and open straight to the program rather
> than to an interface as per Maxwell.

PW can also take files on the command line. Maxwell (0.5.3) can't.

> What I need is a word processor which will give me non-proportional

you mean "fixed"?

> type faces and a format that my Hearst masters with their all MS shop

I have no idea what "Hearst masters" are.

> can read.  If I can write web pages with it, too (PW has that
> feature), I'm really going to be happy
>
> (snipped)
>  >
>  > Maybe a good course would be to have multiple WPs and one 'standard
>  > GNOME WP document format'. After all, GNOME supports multiple human
> and machine-readable langauges. I don't know, fodder for debate.
>
>     The 500 pound gorilla is Word.  Talking to Word is really critical
> (as per my own situation).  And the more the wp works with C^ zxcv
> keybindings, the happier the standard office workers will be (if you
> want to make them happy -- nobody in alt.sysadmin.recovery wants them
> converted to Unix at all, it sounds like).

Don't listen to them. If only sysadmins used Unix, sysadmins wouldn't
have jobs :)

>     My guess is that the thing should enclose graphics, do tables,
> handle forms, labels, and envelopes, read Word Files, write some kinda
> html, plus the rest of it that fits the Gnome agenda.  Highlight drop

PW needs help in those areas.

> and drag helps too, but I don't miss it that much as too often I
> ended up over shooting or under shooting.
>
>       The truly right thing to do would be make a wp that could be
> conformed to the user needs with plug-ins and extensions.  GUI
> interface which would give a different look if the operator was using
> Unix style editing or C^ zxcv commands.  (And I don't even know Perl
> yet, so I know I'm just pieing your sky).  That latter, actually would

Oh yeah, PW supports serval macros langauges.

> be probably worth looking into as a couple of people said that their
> reflexes get trained to the visual frame of the program they're using.
> A one key, on the fly, shift of keybindings and visual look -- is that
> do-able?

> --
> Rebecca Ore

I think PW may be the way to go porting wise. Wish they had code in
CVS (any CVS server).

Reklaw - I code therefore I need gin and sprite.
GNOME software projects - Pharmacy * gnome-standalone
http://home.earthlink.net/~nawalker/