Re: A proposal on intelligent mounting

At 20:52 1998-09-14 -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
>Richard Hestilow <hestgray@ionet.net> writes:
>
>> I thought the automounter was only for remote filesystems and only
supported
>> NFS. Thats the impression I got from the kernel description.
>
>    Nope.  I use it personally to mount my floppy, CD-ROMs, and DOS partition
>in addition to network filesystems.  autofs will mount anything that mount(8)
>will (I'm not sure about amd, but it's essentially passé now anyway) plus
>things that get special treatment (smbfs used to have a separate mount
>program, but was still supported by autofs).  autofs gets two thumbs up in
>my book. :)

The current guidelines regarding exported disks in Solaris
is that the fstab should mount them as /export/home2,/export/home2 and so on

If someone wants access to their own files on while logged in on the server
the autofs daemon will ask NIS+ about the directory.
The reply back will tell the daemon that the files is on of the machine's
own disks.
Action: simply mount the directory as an loopback.

Works excedingly well (as long as nis works but you can also use local files.)