Re: Softwares sugestion

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Brandon S. Allbery wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980915140610.32577B-100000@poseidon.crosslink.net>, T
> im Moore writes:
> +-----
> | But why would this be better than a package management system? As far as I
> +--->8
>
> Tarballs work everywhere.  For example, Solaris hasn't the faintest idea what
> to do with a .deb, and RPM ends up being more trouble than it's worth since it
> doesn't know what is in Solaris's own package management database, so GNOME
> front ends for either format would be pretty useless.  And having a different
> format for every system is ridiculous (I have to manage 5 kinds of systems,
> and not one will read any other's packages; but a tarball works on all of
> them).

In that case, it makes more sense to use a package converter like Alien.
If Solaris has its own package management system, you should use that,
instead of creating a new one.

My point, basically, is that making a tarball installation manager is
pretty much pointless. If you want to use tarballs, than you probably want
to do all of your unpacking, compiling, installation and uninstallation by
hand. If you don't want to do all that by hand, why not just use dpkg or
RPM (given Todd's testimony that dpkg works cross-platform)?

Tim