Re: gnome-libs failure in gnome-metadata.c

Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:
> Jason> I'm not a DB expert, but it looks as if gnome-metadata.c is
> Jason> expecting to get something different when it includes <db.h>.
> Jason> I believe I have db-2.4.10 installed (built from source).  Is
> Jason> it somehow expecting the legacy version 1 DB functions?  Here's
> Jason> the compiler output (gcc 2.7.2.1).
>
> Yes, gnome-metadata assumes DB 1.85.
>
> DB 2.0 might be current, but its license makes it inadvisable for
> Gnome.  It doesn't play well with an LGPL library.
>
> I notice that Hari just checked in changes to let gnome-metadata build
> using DB 2.0's compatibility mode.  Whether we can do this legally is
> beyond me.

Hmm.  Yes.

I was blinded by the fact that glibc distributes/will distribute
SleepyCat DB 2.0.  I didn't notice that there was a "special exception"
for glibc.

The change I checked in is necessary for people using glibc 2.1, I
think (I don't have such a system, however).

Still, (putting on the `gnome-libs' distributor hat), as long as we
stick to the older API, I think we're fine.

- Hari