Re: latest CVS vs. Solaris 2.5.1

"Brandon S. Allbery" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> writes:
> Here's the list of problems I've run in to with the latest anon-CVS build.
> It's a lot cleaner than the "release" version....
>
> * gnome-libs still checks for gettext() in -lc before -lintl.  We use GNU
> gettext for everything, so we end up with the GNU includes from
> /usr/local/include and the Solaris libc libraries --- a losing combination.

Not nice.  I would suggest for the time being to use the
--with-included-gettext configure option.

> * Some cases which look like the above problem are actually something
> more troublesome: configuration-parameter scripts such as glib-config
> don't record the value of $LIBS in effect when they were configured
> and therefore don't include it when run --- but callers of these
> scripts often trust them to be complete specifications.  For example,
> gtk+ expects glib-config to return the full set of libraries required,
> but that set ends up not including the aforementioned -lsocket, et
> al., which I force using LIBS=, and also omits -lroken which I
> borrowed from KTH Kerberos to provide snprintf() and friends.  The
> result is that I have to edit glib-config after regenerating glib or
> gtk+ will refuse to build because it can't link a simple glib program
> using only the information glib-config provides.  (Question: should
> the configure script be adding $LIBS, or should glib-config have
> recorded it?)

The X11 checks will use link -lsocket and -lnsl if you don't specify
them in $LIBS.  `gtk-config' includes the results of this configure
check.

> * Also as of Friday, gnome-libs wanted flock().  Pardon?  Last I
> heard, portable file locking used fcntl().  (Flames about BSD
> vs. System V to /dev/null.  Solaris -lucb sucks regardless of which
> side you're on.)

Yep.  I ran into this too.  (And -lucb sucks, I agree.  That's why
gnomesupport provides `scandir', rather than link in -lucb for it).

- Hari