Re: Problems compiling

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Michael Bruce wrote:

> Linux (Redhat 5.0 + some updates).  No, glib/.libs/libglib-1.1.so does not
> exist.  There are no error messages, per se.  Configure peristantly
> reports that libtool does not support shared libraries, contrary to
> what libtool itself says.

Aha, this is your root problem. Is their anything in config.log showing
how it asks libtool this and what happened? (I'm not sure there would be,
but it would be helpful on configure's part.)

Be sure you blow away config.cache each time you try a new solution. The
first thing I would try is upgrading to the latest libtool, if you
haven't. Otherwise I don't really know why it is doing this.

There are some other known problems with Red Hat 5.0, such as an old libz
causing undefined compress/uncompress symbols in gnome-libs; but I haven't
heard this one.

> Yes, old versions of glib/gtk+ are installed, in a different location
> (/usr/local rather than /opt/gnome)

This should be OK as long as they are glib/gtk+ 1.0 and you do not have
the development packages installed. If you have
/usr/local/share/aclocal/glib.m4, or /usr/local/share/aclocal/gtk.m4, or
the old include files, you may well have problems. However this would be
unrelated to the shared libs thing. It might be related to the failure to
find Gtk.

Havoc