Re: GTop CORBA ideas (was Re: GNOME CVS: gnome-utils martin)

Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:

> If you're doing this just for the sake of learning CORBA, and don't plan
> in taking it much farther than that, then I say go for it! (and ignore
> everything below, because it makes the assumption that this isn't the case
>:-)

Well, it really was a little bit more than just learning CORBA - I wanted to
learn it, but I also wanted to write some useful code not just examples.

> That said, I think it's a bad idea as far as being put out in a program
> for end users to use:
>
> - There is no reason to make gtop applets at all. People run gtop to see
> system status, and there is a clearly defined set of information that can
> be presented. That means there's no need to add the extra bloat of applets
> that will not add much new functionality. If people want to add a new
> display of information, the source code for gtop is there for the hacking.

Hmm, yes - I agree.

> CORBA is a good idea when programs need to export a high-level interface
> to a piece of data.

And since it's more like a very simple interface to large and complex data
in GTop, it's better not to use CORBA for this - corrent ?

> It's not such a great idea as a way of modularizing programs, which is
> what your applets would basically doing for gtop. "They are all using the
> same data, so for efficiency they should be in the same program, and
> modularization should be done inside the program" is what I'm trying to
> get at.

Modularizing was my idea, also to make it more easy to add new functionality
to the source code of GTop - but yes, we don't need applets for this ...

> Perhaps I would be more convinced if you explained (a) why gtop needs
> applets (b) what functionality these applets will provide and how they fit
> in with gtop the program (c) why it should be done through CORBA instead
> of directly in gtop.

Well, I think this is no longer necessary - it was fine for doing some first
steps with CORBA, but I agree with you, it is not the best method for GTop to
use CORBA to do the modularization I wanted.

> Hope this helps,

Yes, it helped. Thanks !

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.com/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger baulig@math38 or fetch mykey.asc from the url above