Re: W3C as opensource "provider"

Quoting Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com):
> Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>:
> >    Let me tell you that this kind of attitude definitely sucks !
>
> What attitude do you mean?  I'm not objecting to you using the term
> "open source".  Because the W3C license conforms to the OSD, you're
> entitled to do that.  And you'll be entitled to use the Open Source
> logo, once we have one.  (Same goes for the GNOME people.)
>
> The only thing I won't do is list W3C on the cases page.  But there
> are good reasons for this, which I'll now explain.
>
> You seem to have a basic misunderstanding about what the Open Source
> campaign is for.  It is not designed to make hackers feel good about
> who they are and what they are doing.  It is not designed to provide
> free publicity for virtuous organizations like W3C.  Both these things
> are worthy goals, but they're somebody else's job.
>
> The purpose of the Open Source campaign is to change the minds of
> businesspeople by persuading them that going open-source will increase
> their profits.  That is its *only* purpose.
>
> Anything that does not serve that purpose is a distraction that dilutes
> the campaign's message -- which is why I won't list the W3C.

  Ok,

 I may have misunderstood your mail, I was feeling a not very kind
tone against W3C and the work done here. In that case, please accept
my apologies. I just hope that other people here didn't have the same
trouble.

 BTW, W3C's licence has been changed recently to be compatible with the
GPL, i.e. someone can repackage code provided under W3C IPR

  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice

and redistribute it under the GPL licence. I won't have anymore to ship
my XML code under another licence to be able to bundle it with Gnome,

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,