guile and canvas question

I was looking for someone to help me do some work with guile and gnome
canvas widget.  I notice that there is a canvas-test program in the
guile-gnome directory which does not seem to work.  I hacked on it a
bit and was able to get to the point were it would come up (the
argument list had indeed changed).  However, I could not figure out
how to set the various parameters of the canvas items.  The test
program used strings, but this failed (wrong type of parameter).  I
tried symbols and keywords but neither of those worked either.  Any
help on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-Dale

--
To hack, is to live.
-- DKH

With the mochas, he was strong.
-- E. Hemingway

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

   Dale K. Hawkins        ||   Your work, no matter how brilliant,
   dhawkins@rmas.com      ||   becomes valuable to others only in
   To Hack, is to Live!   ||   so far as you communicate it to them.