Re: Can't start gnome. Please Help.

Jeremy> I have RH 5.1 and Enlightenment dr14 running on my P133.  I
Jeremy> have installed all the packages required for gnome.  When I
Jeremy> run gnome-session in an xterm window, I get an error that says

Jeremy> /bin/bash: icewm: command not found

Jeremy> then it hangs.  Im pretty sure I have all the packages
Jeremy> installed, but Im not sure what else to do. Any ideas would be
Jeremy> greatly appreciated.

icewm is the default window manager started by gnome-session.  It
isn't really required.  I don't understand why bash is telling you it
isn't found; bash shouldn't be involved in the launch at all.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that everything hangs.  Does
your mouse stop moving?

Anyway, you can tell gnome-session to run a different wm by using the
session-properties program.  Just enter your favorite wm into the list
of programs to always start up.

I agree that this initial setup is confusing.  Suggestions on how to
make it better are welcome.

Tom