Re: theme apology

On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 11:30:56AM -0500, Kevin Miller wrote:

> Excuse me.
>
> I am new to cvs and the entire structuring.. the question had been asked
> before, and no hostility was shown, but the question wasn't answered.
> All I meant by it was why wasnt the themes-2 branch instead of being
> separate, why arent the themes being developed with the main gtk+, not
> moving themes to be the main gtk+ branch... sorry if i was misunderstood.
> It would just make sense to develop themes as its own branch that was
> developed alongside gtk+ so it would have a better chance of conforming to
> what gtk+ main does.  Instead, in the long run, there is a big chance that
> gtk+ and themes-2 will be largely different, and someone will have to get
> both to use themes and gtk, but wont be able to use themes on all gtk+
> apps..
>
> Your arguement is stable, and good resoning, I think it would be wrong to
> just dump something into gtk+ branch also, but why not have themes-2 as
> its own branch, instead of being a gtk+ branch, and developing it with
> gtk+ main, instead of its own.  All I wanted was a good answer, not a
> putdown.

Actually, with cvs's branch merging it's easy to keep the two relatively
in sync.  in case you didn't quite grasp the ramifications of the themes-2
modifications, there are actual gtk+ bits that are modified by the themes-2
branch in order to make the engines actually do anything.
it's not a question of having themes-2 and gtk+ installed, themes-2 IS gtk+.

--
Geoff Harrison (http://mandrake.net)
Senior Systems Engineer