Re: Announce: gnome db 0.4 is ready

tgl> On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Michael Lausch wrote:
>> I need some ideas about a grid widget for data display and data
>> entry. Everybody who knows Access and has some ideas how this can
>> be done with Gtk/Gnome widgets, mail me. The gnumeric sheet is not
>> usable, i already tried this.

tgl> I highly recommend that you assist with gnumeric and use it as
tgl> your front end.  Using spreadsheets as your database front end is
tgl> The Right Thing.  I'm sure that Miguel would be happy to export
tgl> those parts of gnumeric which you need as components which you
tgl> can re-assemble into your "separate database app".

tgl> Once the component model becomes more widespread, there will
tgl> start to be real issues when it comes to defining what is an
tgl> application.  I can see 90% of the UI being shared between
tgl> gnumeric and gnome-db.  Wierd.

tgl> Regardless, you can advance both your own cause and that of
tgl> gnumeric at the same time by helping with baboon.  This Is The
tgl> True Way.

Okay, that's fine with me. I'll be using CORBA anyways for different
implementations for the access machine (the ODBC server is working
already and i just downloaded Informix).

So how should i proceed? How can we use the gnome-filer functions?

I'm rather new to CORBA, but i know other distributed systems quite
good (CMIS/CMIP).

I've already started to implement the IDL for the DB access.

--
Michael Lausch/g.a.m.s. edv dienstleistungen gmbh
See my web page <http://www.gams.net/~mla> or query PGP key server for PGP key.