Help an ORBit idiot, please

I still can't get ORBit to work, and yes I do feel pretty stupid as the
guy who wrote the CVS page unable to get his own tree to compile.  Here's
my setup:

-gnome CVS source in /usr/src/gnomecvs [abbreviated ~]
-gnome compiled in /opt/gnome
-automake 1.3
-autoconf 2.12

And here's the list of what I did in ~:

0] build latest glib and gtk+ binaries
1] rm -rf ORBit/ libIDL/
2] cvs -z3 checkout ORBit libIDL
3] cd ORBit/ ; cvs update -r FOR_PANEL
4] hack the autogen.sh files to run 'aclocal -I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal'
5] ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome \
   --enable-FOR_PANEL
6] watch it blow up

Here's the error (which I've posted a million times):

processing .
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
aclocal: /opt/gnome/share/aclocal/gtk.m4: 7: duplicated macro `AM_PATH_GTK'
processing libIDL
aclocal: /opt/gnome/share/aclocal/gtk.m4: 7: duplicated macro `AM_PATH_GTK'
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:10:AC_CPP_ACCEPT_IDL
configure.in:14:AC_CPP_PIPE_STDIN
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --prefix=/opt/gnome --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome --enable-FOR_PANEL
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: ./configure: line 568: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

Now type 'make' to compile ORBit.

Sorry to bug everyone about this again, but I've followed the instructions
everyone gave me, and it still didn't work.  If I knew how to solve this
myself, it would have been fixed a month ago.  Someone PLEASE explain to
me how to fix this, since I seem to be the only one in the world still
stuck with this problem.

                Soren Harward               | Windows 95/98 DOES come
 Internet Information Systems Administrator | with a tool to recover
               Cinternet, Inc.              | from Registry
 Voice: 891-1228        soren@cinternet.net | corruption.
      http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/      | It's called 'FDISK'.