Re: forgetful session manager

bradleyb@u.washington.edu wrote:
> Gnome won't remember my settings when I log out and back in again.  It
> does this for some users, but not others, on the same system.  It's really
> frustrating.
> If I create a brand new user, that user can use gnome, and it will
> remember his panel icons and all that.
> But it won't remember mine.
> I've tried deleting anything gnome related in ~ and even in /tmp in an
> effort to remove any old configuration lying around.
> But even after that, if I log in and make some changes, when I
> log back in later, the changes will be gone.

>From my (short) experience with the session manager, I can tell this can happen for many different reasons.  To diagnose the problem, try running the session manager with a command line like

  gnome-session > ~/gnome-session-errors 2>&1

then exit the session, and before starting it again, look at the file ~/gnome-session-errors.  You'll probably find some useful messages in it.

Best regards,

M. S.

then

Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co