/usr/local/bin/glib-config ...

Hi,

	Another tiresome configuration question: apologies.

	I was just running:

	./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome

	from /opt/gnome and I got this:

checking for GLIB - version >= 1.1.3... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GLIB since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the glib-config script: /usr/local/bin/glib-config
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org.

	Which is strange, as I had only just installed glib in /opt/gnome
seemingly flawlessly as a normal user. Strange indeed, upon editing
/usr/local/bin/glib-config to point to /opt/gnome ( as root ) it now
works. Whats up with this, I don't understand ?

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Michael Meeks wrote:
> This won't work because it's a stupid thing to do. If you want Gnome, you
> should install the packages *or* compile it yourself. Why do both?
> Uninstall the packages if you want to do your own compile.

	I am extremely happy to uninstall Gnome first, but eg. I have
never had to uninstall my kernel / C compiler in order to re-compile them
although I admit that may be an unfair comparison.

> If you don't know this, you have no business compiling anything anyway.
> Wait for the RPMs.

	Perhaps, perhaps, but it wouldn't take much effort to add this to
the otherwise excellent CVS compilation FAQ ?

> Read my earlier helpful message explaining how to compile Gnome in a safe
> location apart from your packages. I guess you need to add to those
> instructions: uninstall any Gnome rpm's or .deb's, and uninstall the
> -devel packages for Gtk 1.0.

	Yes, thanks for your instructions, I am using their fruit as I
type.

> --prefix tells configure what directory you want to install to. It
> defaults to /usr/local I think, which is reasonable. It can't read your
> mind and know which to pick.

	Sure, but could it be arranged such that the prefix/share/aclocal
is used as a default ?

> End users are supposed to use the packages, or at least the tarballs. CVS
> snapshots are As Is. We want them to be easy to build for any potential
> developers, but they are not idiot proof and you do have to learn how to
> use them. They are also just plain broken once in a while. That said,
> everyone is happy to help you with any problems, and we are trying to do
> so. We are also taking patches to improve the build, as long as the
> standard configure stuff still works, since we need that to do
> development.

	Right, I suppose my manifold objections can be reduced to one FAQ
entry, perhaps like this:

	Important: If you have installed some binary GNOME packages and
now wish to develop from CVS you must remove all the packages before
rebuilding everything from source.

	Thanks for your help again, it is much appreciated.

	Regards,

		Michael Meeks.

--
 michael@imaginator.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot