RE: Still no luck with compilation

>===== Original Message From Dov Grobgeld <dov@imagic.weizmann.ac.il> =====
>I still am not able to do a compilation of gnome-libs. Here are the
>exact steps I did on a RedHat 5.1 box with all of RedHat's additional
>patches installed:
>
>  setenv CVSROOT ':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome'
>  cvs -z3 checkout imlib gtk+ glib libIDL ORBit gnome-libs libvfs gnome-core
gnome-guile ee gnome-admin gnome-games gnome-network gnome-utils

as a note here:  it looks as if you are following the directions on Soren's
page concerining a CVS install.  i did the same but i noticed that explicitly
checking out libvfs and libIDL was redundant as libvfs is part of the
gnome-libs tree and libIDL is part of the ORBit tree.  how about updating your
page Soren?

>And after the cvs finished without any errors
>
>  setenv PATH /usr/local/alpha/bin:$PATH
>  setenv ACLOCAL_FLAGS "-I/usr/local/alpha/share/aclocal"
>  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/alpha/lib
>
>  cd glib; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/alpha ; make ; make install
>  cd ../gtk+; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/alpha ; make ; make install
>  cd ../imlib; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/alpha ; make ; make install
>
>And then for the problematic gnome-lib:
>
>  cd ..
>  mv macros support intl libs gnome-libs
>  cd gnome-libs; ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/alpha
>
>Which outputs the following and then dies:
>
>    processing .
>    `aclocal' will also look in `macros'
>    You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
>    aclocal: unrecognized option -- `-I/usr/local/alpha/share/aclocal'
>    Try `aclocal --help' for more information.

[snip subsequent makefile barf]

unlike your standard compiler, aclocal will not accept a "-I" ran together
with its argument, so something like:
setenv ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/alpha"
is more appropriate (*ick* c-shell!)

Jacob L. E. Christen
Eye Street Software      Legg Mason(on-site)
410.309.9550x3008        410.454.3698
jchristen@eyestreet.com  jlchristen@leggmason.com