Re: Bravo for the mess with all the files !!!

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, TUTU wrote:

> First of all, I'm sorry if I'm rude but I think the way GNOME is
> organized is unacceptable and someone should say that officially.

THIS IS ALPHA SOFTWARE.  IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, DON'T USE IT.

> I'm trying to install GNOME for about 24 hours now... << BRAVO for
> following standards in terms of software engineering and installation
> conventions ....>>
>
> Does the words DoD, IEEE1074-830-etc and ISO-etc means something for
> you guys ...

If you want standards followed, tell us whats wrong and how we might be
able to fix it.  Or at the very least give us a better reference.  And
honestly, I don't see what you're complaining about.  I doubt we have
broken anymore standards than any other similar peice of software out
there.  If anything, we are following them even closer

> So guess what ??? It is not working ... In fact, using "top" , there

See first comment.

> is a gnome-session witch is running but i can't see it ... and typing
> "gnome-session" produce a lib fault ...

The reason it lib faults?  Chances are you should kill the gnome-session
running in the background.  If you want better help, give us a real bug
report.

> I use to have it from the RedHat 5.1 CD but wanted to upgrade to the
> new version.

Probably a good idea if you want to take the time to do it.

> I followed "the incorrect" procedures on how to install from FTP...
> (Some suggested files doesn't provide what they are supposed to)  How
> are we suppose to guess the way we should install the gnome-* files
> once we have them ... rpm -i * doesn't work ...

I hate to be too abrasive but...you sound just like a bloody Windows user
saying that Linux is too hard to install.

> After installing the libs files (all of them ...) many packages was
> still saying that they couldn't install because some other dam files
> were missing ....

Admittedly, GNOME has a LOT of dependencies but we are aware of that and
are trying to figure something out.  Dropping them really just isn't an
option.  Also, again note that this is ALPHA SOFTWARE.

> So, it's not that i want to be rude but what is the magic procedure to

Want to or not you've succeeded in both rudeness and lack of intelligent
and/or useful comments.

> install the latest version of GNOME on RedHat 5.1 when the previous
> one was deleted. Alto I think it is deleted. It's that the magic
> procedure to do that is still rpm -e --nodeps One-By-One-files.rpm ...

ANYONE who insists on using rpm files and uses --nodeps or --force should
expect two things.  The first is that something will break, and it almost
assuredly will, I don't care what you say.  The second is that you will
recieve no sympathy when it does.

> Like if i had nothing else to do of my days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then by gods, don't use it and wait until 1.0 comes out.

> PS : All my friends told me to use KDE because gnome was a fucking
> mess... I begin to understand why ...

Should I even bother to repeat myself?  I suppose I will.  GNOME IS ALPHA
SOFTWARE.  KDE is considered stable since it is in 1.0 stages.  KDE should
be expected to install smoothly while in the 1.0 stage and so should
GNOME, once it reaches that stage.  It hasn't reached that stage and I
would give it about another 6 months until it does.

In the meantime, go ahead use KDE if it works better for you.  If you want
to use GNOME, don't go bitching about your problems with it if you don't
honestly want to make the effort, especially when it isn't near the 1.0
stages.  If you tell us the errors you get, we can try to help you.  When
you do stuff like this, you are going to get no where.  Bug reports will
help both us and you.

Now, if you want to try to install GNOME again, remove your old libs and
versions of GTK+ and GNOME (and please, just do it in a orderly fashion
and don't use --nodeps or --force).  Then, read the install instructions
on the website and in the FAQ.  The FAQ is really more up to date.  Or if
you don't feel like screwing around with RPMs, compile the stuff on your
own.  It isn't that hard, honest.

Most any of the people on this list who can, will still most likely be
willing to help you if you will be patient, slightly more intelligent in
your posts and willing to put forth the effort.

Regards,
Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

"The only absolute is the _existence of the self_.  All else is
questionable; indeed, all else is negligable."
      -Marcus Brubaker