Re: BOB: GNOME Word Processor Efforts

> > I am struggling with what to put in the XML section of the FAQ right
> > now because no one wants to tell me and everyone else what's going
> > on.

  Oops, I probably deleted mails a bit fast in that case.

> You can always mail directly the people listed in $module/AUTHORS.  If
> you look for Daniel's posts on GNOME list you will find that it has
> been pretty much all; you will notice that he has described his work
> on Gnome-Xml since May.

  Well here is the small story:
    - gnome-xml contains a generic XML parser. By default the parser
      build a tree in memory containing the document. This module
      has an "internal" API described in gnome-xml/tree.h
    - W3C released DOM the Document Object Model which is an API
      all the big players have agreed on for accessing "live" XML
      document. So I'm writing DOM interfaces for the existing xml
      module, piggy-backing on the internal API. One of the nice thing
      is that any process manipulating XML tree with gnome-xml, by
      embedding also the DOM support will be able to share it's
      live internal document structures with other process through
      Corba and a well defined, stable and normalized API. For me it's
      exciting, but YMMV :-). The DOM implementation is the gnome-dom
      module, but is not yet in a usable state.
    - I try to help other Gnome application coders to get XML in,
      e.g. helping for Gnumeric I/O, and for GWP.

Pointers:
  http://www.w3.org/XML/
  http://www.w3.org/DOM/
  Gnome CVS base

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,