Re: Making prerequisites easy

On 15 Oct, Keith Wright scribbled:
->  > From: Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>
->  > As a result, authors sometimes shy away from requiring libraries that
->  > would benefit GNOME as a whole. An example I can give right now is the
->  > audiofile library (a library that loads various audio file formats), which
->  > Tom Tromey suggested to use for loading sound effects and other useful
->  > sound-related functionality.
->  >
->  > Does anyone have ideas for making it easier to get GNOME installed, and
->  > making the prerequisites look less threatening to new users?
->  >
->
->  In the case you cited (audio), and perhaps more generally, I would prefer
->  modular functionality over prerequisites.  That is, rather than making
->  the audio library required, make it configurable at compile time and
->  required only if audio is requested.  There are many computers that
->  have no speakers attached, offices where unnecessary noises would
->  not be welcome, deaf people, etc...  They should be able to build
->  without wasting disk space on a big audio library.  On the other

audiofile big? AHHAHAHAHAHA pleas e- don't make me laugh too much.. my
doctor said it's bad for me. Same goes for esound - tiny libraries -
take no time flat to compile and install.

how about we stick to the facts here?

->  hand, the configuration option that enables sound support should
->  be the same for all programs, and if one chooses audio support
->  then all programs should share the same library where possible.
->

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com