E and click to focus

I am using E and gnome from cvs, about 2 days old, and I have my mouse
focus set to click to activate and focus a window.  While running the
panel and the gnome-pager applet I have to click on the panel to bring
it into focus and then click again to change virtual desktops or tasks.
It seems like E is taking the first click event and changing focus and
then discarding the click event.  Where in the E code to I look to make
it pass the first click to the application and change the focus?  This
would most likely be a configurable option.