Need help, Pics are badly blured..

This was fowarded from the redhat-axp list.

Peter Petrakis wrote:

Hi,
    I've just come out of a fresh install of RH 5.1 on my Alpha 533 to
solve this reacurring problem. Under Window Maker 0.20 everything except
the background is a fuzzy blue smear including the menu, dock, and
window borders. I currently run E 0.14 and KDE 1.0 with no problems so
my graphic libs are up to snuff so why is this going on? I get the same
problem running gnome 0.30. Everything except the panel is fuzzed out
the same way like in window maker. Also curiously in GIMP I cannot save
files as jpegs and the gif option is unavailable too but while running
gimp in KDE I can. I've tried reinstalling the old and new jpeg & gif
libs with no effect. How can I trace the root of all this? My video card
is a diamond fire gl 1000 pro and I use metrolink's X server v 4.3.1 .
Might it be X server related? This being the first time running either
of the above WM I don't have anything to compare it to. Also what image
format do gnome and Wmaker use? I have all the errata applied from the
jpeg dir and I'm running imlib 1.8 & Fnlib 0.3.  Thanks for your help.

Best Regrads,
Peter Petrakis
--
peterpan@wn.net