3d number 3

This is really good for me.  thanks again.

Ok, here we go:

Reklaw - Chrome + berlin. Gnome is for 2d'ers.  3D'ers should do berlin,
or compatible.
>From looking at Chrome, it just looks that Microsoft wants to package the
internet on DVD's and use DirectX in their browser. Thats pretty
consumer oriented--yuck.   I'd like something a bit more interactive than
watching a movie.

Berlin looks good. The only bad thing is Corba, and talk of Java.
Corba and Java are great for Business apps, but for something this
compute-intensive, I think they are too slow for the job (Yes, I know Java
compilers are pretty good, etc., but Assembly is and always will be the
fastest, with C pretty close up there).

alan - ATI 3d Rage pro cheaper
I have one of those in my non-linux box. Guess I should play around with
it more.
  I guess I am thinking more in my head of a beowulf and/or SMP
system where some CPUs do the Display, and others do the thinking, and
others do Voice Recognition and synthesis.  The voice thing is a new
facet- which I will elaborate on later.
Most likely, it would be better to support one common, cheap and good 3d
card and just run with it.  that way, the software layers will be reduced.
Although mesa could be (and is) optomized for specific cards.

Jesse - cards available, X not limiting factor, Turning around to see docs
good idea. 3d is unproven frontier as 2d used to be.
   Text terminals were akin to a typewriter with a self-erasing loop of
paper.
 2d Gui systems are akin to a desktop with papers cluttered all over the
place, one on top of the other.
 3d Gui systems are akin to the world we live in. This is not an unproven
frontier.  This is the tried and true life that we lead today.  We have
been working in a 3d interface since we were babies.

Spauldo - Gnome is for people to work in. 3d is fun to play in but not
work in. if you build a 3d window manager, they will come- maybee.
   Work today is to drive to an office, and stand and type in front of the
computer, and make a few phone calls.  In other words, work today is
limited by the flat expression of ideas on our machine.

Peter - Use Permedia, Glint, or Oxygen/Voodoo. Good idea Hib!
   Thanks.

Greg - What benefits are there in 3d land?
3d land:
	o 3 dimensional data flow diagram language to better implement
	 threads and graphical programs.
	o tri-dimensional spreadsheets
	o more realistic icons
	o Iconized programs could be placed in a box- out of site and
mind.  This box could shield the users from pop-up messages and the like.
	o The background becomes a backscape- and points of interest in
the scape can be identifiers for where material is kept.
	o File manager would act more like a file cabinet. moving files
from one folder to another would not require using the scroll bar on a
huge directory structure.
	o Better roadmaps for navigation- you can see landmarks and do a
"virtual drive"
	o Better warehouse inventory systems
	o cars and real-estate could be better presented for online
perusal.
	o A 3d dataflow software language could be used, and worked with
which would better fit the style of programming.
	o Celestial bodies could be mapped easier onto the system.
	o programs could have little 3d charactures that would talk to and
work with the user (like Mozilla for netscape, catbert for system
resources, mickey for the mouse, and don't forget the penguin!)
	o Manufacturing systems could be more easily modelled and
understood.
	o  etc.

With sound also incorporated - like a simple interface where the user can
bark commands, and the computer talks back, could have many applications.
 I would wish the interface, and the apps to allow typed, spoken, and
gestured user information to control and command action.  An example of
a mainly sound based program is as follows:

A virtual secratary, who can take calls, page you when an important one
comes in,  play back the message as the person said it, or sent the
persons message via email.  A user could call up the computer secretary
and ask it for stock quotes, phone numbers, address, the news of the day,
or to take a dictation.

Most speak programs are voice to screen.  You talk and then see if the
computer guessed it right.  A voice-voice system is much more natural.

With 3d and sound interfaces, the computer can do more than ever before.

I entered this mailing list to see if I could influence this development,
as because it is Red Hat, much clout goes into whatever you create.
Thanks to the constructive criticism, I now know that Berlin, or my own
creation would be a more proper avenue.  But before I leave this
enlightening debate, I would ask you if any of the 3d ideas on the top of
my head appeal, or reveal the need for a "deeper" paradigm.  This is
important to me, as it will help me decide if my plan is cool, just OK,
completely done before, or lame.

Thanks again,
Hib