RE: Clipboard history idea.

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Dries, Joseph wrote:

> If you check the archives, I had proposed there be something like a
> "clipbook", that allowed you to copy multiple items to the clipboard, and
> you can select which items to paste. Additionally, you could enable a
> network-based publish and subscribe type of arrangement. You could select
> certain "pages" of the clipbook as shared (with ACLs of course), or you
> could subscribe to someone else's published "page". This is a natual
> application for a CORBA implementation.
>
> Unfortunately, at the time, no one picked up on the idea.
>
> Thanks,
> -j
>
> --
> Joseph F. Dries III
> Lockheed Martin / EIS
> Government Electronic Systems / IT&P
>    Advanced Technology/OS Group
> mailto:joseph.dries@lmco.com

Hello

I hope that it won't fizzle again, I think alot of people of all
experiance and ability levels could benifit.  That sounds like a better
way to handle the networking method.  Private until declared public, then
accessable to anyone who is on the acceptiable hosts list.  The acceptable
hosts list should be a plain text in the /etc or /etc/X11 or some
other root controled directory.  The list should have root access only and
should obviously start off empty.  That way only people educated about the
risks by the header in the config file could activate the nework ability
by removing a line and adding hosts to the list in the fasion given by the
commented out header.  You could default to "read privligaes" for netboard1
(page) only, if no pages were defined in the config file.  Here's what I
mean...

sample
#gnome clipboard server config. Acceptable hosts list.
#
#Dear root or eqivelant, you are a buthead if you don't warn your users or
#yourself that unencrypted transfer over a network is unsafe for sensitive
#data.  Please use ssh or email encryption to transfer corperiate secrets
#or embarasing photos.
#
#form
#Host		accesible pages to that host
#127.0.0.1	1 3 5 12

137.125.120.3	1 2 8

127.0.0.1	1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 #another X on same machine

12.123.22.69 	9

Does anyone see a problem with setting it up this way?

-Matthew Newhall