RE: Clipboard history idea.

Matthew Newhall [odinson-gnome@flatclub.ml.org] wrote:

> Hello

[...]
> way to handle the networking method.  Private until declared public, then
> accessable to anyone who is on the acceptiable hosts list.  The
acceptable
> hosts list should be a plain text in the /etc or /etc/X11 or some
> other root controled directory.  The list should have root access only
and
> should obviously start off empty.  That way only people educated about
the
> risks by the header in the config file could activate the nework ability
> by removing a line and adding hosts to the list in the fasion given by
the
> commented out header.  You could default to "read privligaes" for
netboard1
> (page) only, if no pages were defined in the config file.  Here's what I
> mean...
[...]
> Does anyone see a problem with setting it up this way?

No, I like it.
Anyway, I was never against Joseph F. Dries III<joseph.dries@lmco.com> 's
proposal either...
...I just got the impression that someone allready had started writing the
gnome clipbook/clipboard, and that the clipbook was allmost finished.

Now, does this discussion mean that no one has started writing the gnome
clipbook???
(Read: Wow, does this mean that there is work to do? :)

Some simple questions about the clipbook proposal:
If I'm cutting multiple objects, should they be stored in the clipbook like
multiple objects, or as a single "clip"?
When I'm pasting multiple objects (I presume that your'e pasting objects
from the clipbook that are currently marked as 'selected'), should they be
pasted in 'random' order, or in any particular order at all?
Should it be possible to paste multiple objects at all?
(If this should be possible, what should happen if I try to paste multiple
objects, but some - not all of them - of the objects are incompatible with
the receiver. Say I'm pasting some text, plus a file, simultanousely into a
texteditor? What is supposed to happen?)

<from the Hall of Memories>
In a very distant past Michael J. Mitchell [mitch@gw2.redback.com.au]
wrote:
> Actually, Liss you might like to check out the API for the NSPasteboard
> class in OpenStep. OpenStep allows for several different "clipboards"
> [they call them pasteboards] for text, images etc and a general one for
> data. OpenStep has always seemed pretty well thought out to me.

Where could I find some futher information about OpenStep?

mvh
// Liss <waiting for reply>
liss@ydab.se