Re: Windows and DLLs

> System-wide settings:  No, these aren't so John and Jane Doe can break
> your things without hacking your account.  They're so the sysadmin can
> do useful things like set a default global Gnome menu or set the
> default NNTPSERVER or WWW_HOME.  All the items in the Gnome System
> menu are system-wide defaults.  In a heirachal scheme, your
> user-settings will override system settings, and app setitngs will
> override user-wide settings.

Whats wrong with having their source some init file owned by a sysadm that
will set these defaults?  When a user logs in, the .cshrc file could
do something like:

source /sys/global.env

which would set the NNTP or whatever.  Granted it's not something that
takes immediately, but I think it's probably a bit impolite to make
changes under a user while they are busy doing something anyways.  The
user can logout and log back in again for the changes to take effect.(or
resource their .cshrc file)  The solution is pretty clean and it allows
users to easily override the system defaults.

This will handle the environment variables, like WWW_HOME.  For GNOME menu
items, I think thats something that can be built into the GNOME in general
on how you would accomplish that.  Perhaps a CORBA object can do system
updates to all running GNOME login objects. (I don't know CORBA very
well, so pardon my ignorance if I'm mis-representing CORBA's capabilities)

	sri

Sri Ramkrishna         /|\ Unix is very user friendly, its just very picky
email: sri@aracnet.com -|- on who it is friendly to. -- Unknown?
phone: 503-645-4868    \|/