Re: Easier?

> >Which distribution is easier to set up Gnome on? Red Hat? Debian?
> >Which one is the easiest for not compiling the stuff yourself?
> >HINT: All I really use is point-and-click stuff like RPM but I also
> >heard Debian has something similar. Any ideas?
> >
> >Thank you
> >A brand new linux user!

Hi,

For my point of view, i think debian is easier. First i install debian, then
RH, and then back to debian. I think RH is a little confusing.....
But RH has better support for autoconfiguring hardware for example. It detect
some of your cards. If you want to do that with debian you must install a
software that does . (that is not in the distribution.)
About installing packages its almost the same. For installing in redhat: rpm -i
package.rpm     In debian dpkg -i package.deb.  Debian's package mantainer is
better for doing `strange ' things... such as installing sofware on another
debian machine...
If looking for a software its not in a distibution, you will easy find rpm's.
debian's is a little harder...  but you can compile.

Installing gnome is easy in the 2 distributions.

Red hat has glint, graphical UI to rpm.
Debian has apt, a non graphical UI to dep, but its very easy to use.

bye,

                       /      Phillip  Neumann       /
                      /     filsin@bigfoot.com      /