Re: Easier?

Hi Dill!  It's good to see you joining us Linux people!  :)

>From: Dill <dill2@netscape.net>
>

>Which distribution is easier to set up Gnome on? Red Hat? Debian?
>Which one is the easiest for not compiling the stuff yourself?
>HINT: All I really use is point-and-click stuff like RPM but I also
>heard Debian has something similar. Any ideas?
>
>Thank you
>A brand new linux user!

In general, I recommend RedHat for Linux newbies.  It is far from perfect,
but is generally somewhat easy to administer and can be handled fairly well
without dealing with the command line.

OTOH, if you ever do use the command-line, you will quickly discover that
the GUI really is quite limiting at this point.  GLINT, for example, is
horribly inadequate when compared to the things like "rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep
netscape` and other such nifty incantations (that one would automatically
uninstall netscape and any related components, which is not necessarily
useful, but you get the idea).

Really, though, the command line is not general that difficult, so I would
strongly advice that you begin taking some steps towards learning it!

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/