Re: A few things...

> > 3) What is the status of Gnome-DOM? Gnome-XML? Are these undergoing
> > active development? I don't actually want to display XML, I just want to
> > use XML to represent data in my application.
>
> Gnome-XML is fully usable it provides XML file manipulation.
>
> It is being used by the rpmfind packages written by Daniel Veillard,
> Gnumeric (a spreadsheet) and gwp (a word processor).

  Ok, a bit more on that (Sorry, it seems I missed the original mail).
The gnome-xml library is definitely in a state that I would call usable.
I don't expect to change much to the existing API in the future, except
for the support of arbitrary charset encoding (UTF-8/UTF-16/...) I only
plan to ADD new functions (e.g. some copy operation are on the workbench
for DOM).

  For the gnome-dom library, it was frozen for a while, waiting for a
reorganization of the gnome-xml internal structures (to fit the DOM
view of how a document is made) and an obscure bug on ORBit which is now
hopefully fixed. There is currently only basic tree manipulation
(on the Node type) available, I expect to increase the support of other
objects. There is also known memory leaks (as long as I won't provide the
deallocation routines trigered by ORBit when a client disconnect).
So this part is far more experimental right now.

   DOM specification available from : http://www.w3.org/DOM/
   NOTE: it uses UTF-16 as the default encoding ...

  The XML core is in serious use, it's the base of the XML/RDF encoding
used by rpm2html/rpmfind and it processes hundreds of megabytes of XML
files daily. To "use XML to represent data in my application" then I
guess there is no problem, I do exactly that ...

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,