Re: esound eats CPU cycles

> Ronald de Man wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed that my computer is slower than it used to be. I tracked it
> > down to esd. Whenever it is running performance goes down by approximately
> > 30%. This is on a P233MMX running linux-2.0.36 and glibc.
> > Are more people experiencing this? Esd is not showing up in top and
> > stracing it shows that its doing a select(), so I have no idea what
> > is happening here.
>
> Which version of esound do you have installed? Recent
> CVS snapshots should be much better about CPU usage
> when no data is being sent to the server.  Is there
> any more information that you can give concerning
> what clients are (or are not) connected to esd?
> How are you determining the 30% performance decrease?

I have the lastest version from CVS. No sound is playing, just
esd running in the background. Esd should be sleeping, and strace
shows that it is. But the performance decrease is real.
I determine the 30% by doing something like

time gzip <some_file >/dev/null

The performance hit is consistent and shows up in programs other than
gzip as well. I really have no idea what's causing it, but the slow
down is there when I start esd, and disappears the moment I kill it.
Could it be 2.0.36? I'll try 2.0.35 when I get home. It's weird.

Ronald