Re: [harinath cs umn edu: Re: Gnome-libs and libart_lgpl]

Michael Harnois <mharnois@willinet.net> writes:
> Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:
> > 1. I never said
> >
> > 	"Don't use `cvs update'"
> >
> >    I said
> >
> > 	"Don't use `cvs update' to do the initial checkout"
>
> Ah. You're right, that would be really dumb.
>
> > 2. There's one case when `checkout' and `update -d' are different after
> >    a tree has been checked out.  That is when a virtual subdir has been
> >    added via the `modules' mechanism.  `checkout' knows how to handle
> >    it, `update -d' doesn't.  This could be construed as a bug in CVS.
> >    However, the documentation for the `modules' mechanism talks only
> >    about checkout, not about update.  There's nothing wrong in how the
> >    GNOME CVS Repository is set up.  It is just that people have slightly
> >    more expectations of orthogonality than CVS really has.
>
> OK. That constitutes a good reason to use checkout all the time, since
> one never really knows when such a thing will happen.

I hope not.  Each has its place.  `cvs update' is better than `cvs
checkout' for day to day updates since it sends deltas over the net in
the Remote CVS case.  `cvs checkout' appears to send out the whole
changed file.

After all, `virtual' subdirs are not added everyday.  You can keep an
eye on the CVSROOT/modules file, and if the line corresponding to a
particular module changes, only then do you need to re-checkout that
module (you don't even need to delete the module before re-checking it
out).

- Hari