Re: newbee: cvs libart_lgpl missing ?

On 23 Nov 1998, Christoph Kliemt wrote:
> Hi...

Hello!

>  Last week i started to play with the gnome-cvs. So far i got the
>  autogen.sh running ( thanks sorben ! ), but now i got a problem i
>  can't solve myself.
>
>  Facts:
>  I checked out(modules): ORBit esound gnome-core gnome-objc gtk+
>  libgtop audiofile glib gnome-libs imlib
>
>  I think i protected the cvs-tree from interference with the normal
>  rh-5.1 packets ( #include <blahfasel.h> ) to avoid version mismatch
>  so far... ?!
>
>  compiled && installed:
>  ORBit, esound, audiofile (because i was to lazy to figure out how to
>  disable is, imho a computer should be silent... ;-) gtk+, imlib,
>  glib.

If you want to have a quiet computer, don't install esound or audiofile
(there might be a esound-config or esd-config to delete also, I don't
remember).  If you don't have those on the system, everything should
compile just fine, and without sound support.

>  gnome-libs:
>  Running './autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/gnome/
>  --with-gtk-prefix=/usr/local/gnome/
>  --with-glib-prefix=/usr/local/gnome/'
>  automake complains: 'Makefile.am:21: required directory ./libart_lgpl
>  does not exist' ...and its right, there is no dir with that name...
>  Changelog tells me that libart_lgpl has been intgrated on Nov 18, and
>  that i should look in 'libart_lgpl/ChangeLog for libart-specific
>  change entries.' ... em, err... there is no libart directory...
>
>  request for enlightment:
>  - did i forget to check out something ? Is there an 'official' sequence
>    of compile and install ?

No, but CVS forgot to grab something it should have done automatically.
Some of the anonymous CVS servers don't seem to be giving the
gnome-libs/libart_lgpl directory properly.  Do a fresh "cvs co gnome-libs"
until you see the directory there.

Note: GTK+ was updated very recently, you might need to update that one as
well before gnome-libs will compile.

>  - is there a rule of thumb to find out about dependencies between the
>    gnome modules ?

It's not a dependancy, it is a missing portion of the module.  The rule of
thumb for what is dependant on what is to check the FAQ.  In
<http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq/FAQ-4.html>, under the question "What Order
Do I Compile Things In?", you will see a list (remove LibIDL from the
list, it is redundant).  Any package further down on the list might be
dependant on something prior to it.

>  - whats did i do wrong ? choose a bad day to check out cvs ? ;-)

Some of the anonymous CVS servers are flaky, be patient.

>  - is there a URL with an introduction to the internal lyrics of gnome
>    (last Monday i typed rm -rf ./kde_cvs...) ?

You can probably find most of what you're looking for by browsing
around the GNOME webpage, at http://www.gnome.org.

>  - what to do in this special case ?

Checkout gnome-libs until you get everything.  You might also try to
checkout libart_lgpl as a separate package and copy the directory to
gnome-libs.

>  - is there a volunteer to help me to get the cvs-gnome running ?
>    (promise: The questions will be gnome-cvs-specific, i know what to do
>    if there is a: '/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x36): undefined reference to
>    `main''-error ;-)); i think i gonna log that to newbee.html ?!

In addition to the GNOME FAQ, there is also a very good "Beginners
Guide to GNOME CVS" by Soren Howard at
<http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/gnome/cvs.shtml>.  Check it out to
make sure you aren't duplicating work.

Best of Luck,