Re: ORBit question

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:32:11 -0500, tack@dok.org <tack@dok.org> wrote:
>I am writing a paper for my operating systems class on CORBA, so I figured
>playing with ORBit would be worth while.
>
>I've been fiddling with the echo test program in the ORBit source directory.
>This seems to be a good introduction to CORBA.  But my understanding is that
>one of CORBA's nifty features is that services don't have to be run on the
>same machine as the client.  In the test program:
>
>	    orb = CORBA_ORB_init(&argc, argv, "orbit-local-orb", &ev);
>
>I'm assuming "orbit-local-orb" means the client is intended to be run on the
>same machine as the server?  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

You are...

"orbit-local-orb" means the server is intended to be run on the same
machine as the server (that's a very rough way of putting it - the
details are "unimportant"... :)

>My question is, how do I alter the echo example so that I might run the
>client on a different machine?

You don't have to alter anything, just run it.

It would be nice if people tried things out and experienced
problems _before_ reporting them :)
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg