Re: NetLoad applet problems

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Greg Fall wrote:

> When I start the NetLoad applet, I get the error message stating that
> 'IP accounting ... is not activated for the specified device' and the
> suggestion to try 'ipfwadm -A -i -P all -W <device name>'.  This does
> not work, and the device properites are set correctly.  Does anybody
> with a PPP connection have this applet working?  If so, I'd like to
> know how.  Thanks,

I think it is not necessary to have IP accounting enabled - if you
look at /proc/net/dev, there's also the number of bytes transferred
in/out so we can try to parse this file first (and that also works
without IP accounting). Tried this out with several kernels with and
without IP accounting and it works, but did not yet have time to write
the code parsing that file.

However, I'm going to move this into LibGTop next week (this is already
working on FreeBSD, use the `netload_libgtop' branch for this; once
support for Linux is added to LibGTop I'll merge this branch).

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/