Re: Slightly Off Topic: GPL'ed Encyclopedia ?

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 11:41:06PM -0500, Soren Harward mentioned:
> Phew, that's a helluva idea.  Unfortunately, the GNU/OSS/FSF movement
> if not a "free information" movement, it's a "free software" movement.
> There's a huge difference: if you don't like your mail client or there
> isn't a program that does something you want, you can just write one of
> your own from scratch.  However, you can't just make up factual
> information.  The research effort would be enormous, as would the entrophy
> level.  You'd end up with stuff like supercomplex descriptions of quantum
> particle physics while the "18th-century British Literature" article
> forgets to mention Pope's _The Rape of the Lock_.
>
> Can you imagine the FUD?

 Yes, but can you imagine reading through it, and taking offence at someone
leaving some (what you consider vital) piece of information out of a piece,
and mailing the maintainer reminding them of this, and then, it's in the
next version a few weeks later.

 I can also imagine that there would likely be a massive imbalance in
content - much more techy stuff, say than literatute, but then again, it's
like that most of it's users would also be more techy than average...

 How could it be started ? Someone announcing a home page, and a request
for submissions in (say) sgml format ? Wait two years for enough
submissions to present something worthwhile...

Kate

--
'As my grandmother used to say, as she worked away on her spinning wheel,
"Those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it, especially if